The Marketing Specialist position reports to and works with the Publicity Chair to develop marketing campaigns that promote and increase interest, engagement, and participation in Writers of Kern (WOK) activities in the community and increase its membership.
Build your professional portfolio, skills, and work experience with an established non-profit organization ready to support your advancement. This opportunity is a volunteer position.
- Report marketing campaign results regularly to Publicity Chair
- With Publicity Chair, develop marketing campaigns to promote WOK, increase membership, and increase email subscribers
- Implement approved marketing campaigns with efficiency and expertise
- Develop and maintain relationships with local print media outlets
- Develop and maintain relationships with online influencers in the writing niche
- Write and submit regular press releases for WOK monthly speaker, courses, workshops, and events to local print media outlets
- Write or source guest blog posts that link to WOK’s website and submit them for publication to relevant online venues locally and in the writing niche
- Publish WOK event details on local event listing websites with appealing calls to action (CTAs)
- Ensure a consistent, cohesive voice and message across all marketing campaigns
- Excellent communication skills (oral and written)
- Excellent writing skills
- Strong decision-making skills
- Comfortable using computer technology platforms for communications (Slack, Zoom, social media)
- Experience with blogging/guest blogging
- Experience writing compelling headlines and CTAs that attract engagement
- Advanced coursework in Marketing, Communications, Journalism, English, or
- Business (degree in Marketing or Communications preferred)
How to Apply
Please submit three writing samples (a blog post with a compelling headline, a press release, and a blurb for an event listing site that promotes an event) along with your resume or CV to info @ writersofkern .com (no spaces).
Include “WOK VOLUNTEER—MARKETING SPECIALIST” in the subject line of your email to ensure it reaches the correct department.