The Contest In Short
Submit a 1200-word work of fiction, memoir, or creative nonfiction that helps readers see people as individuals rather than as stereotypes.
Prizes: $200 1st place, $100 2nd place, $50 3rd place.
Deadline: September 30, 2018.
Eligibility: Members who renewed or signed up for membership before August 31, 2018.
Word Count: 1200 words or fewer.
Theme: Stereotypes are judgments made about individuals or groups of people, cultures, and things without knowing or being familiar with them. Stereotypes, which can be positive or negative, are often based on assumptions and pre-conceived notions that may apply to some, but not all, members of a group. No group is immune to being stereotyped.
How to Submit
#1 Format Your Work
- 12pt Times New Roman font
- 1″ margins, all sides
- page number in upper right corner, beginning on first page
- document file in MS Word
#2 Make Two Copies
- An Identity copy: includes the title, author name, contact information, and page number in the upper right of the header.
- And a Blind copy: excludes your name and contact information. Includes title and page number in upper right of the header.
#3 Email Your Submission
- Attach the Identity and Blind copies of your contest submission into the body of an email.
- Send it to email@example.com.
Note: Email submissions only. All other submissions will be rejected.
Winners announced at the Writers of Kern annual Winter Dinner, December 8, 2018.