WOK Press is an imprint of Writers of Kern. WOK Press is dedicated to publishing high quality writing from writers of all levels. Its mission is to promote new and emerging writers alongside published writers.
Because WOK Press editorial staff works pro bono, it is important to keep them sane and happy. Adhering to the guidelines below facilitates that effort.
- Museful Moments – three-minutes of spontaneous (unedited) writing in response to one-word prompts given at WOK monthly meetings. (<150 words)
- Flash Fiction (<500 words)
- Short Stories – Fiction, Creative Nonfiction, Memoir (<1200 words)
- Poetry (Max 50 Lines)
- Images for Cover Art (Note: Only one (1) submission will be chosen per edition.)
- Submissions are open to new or returning, dues-paying members of Writers of Kern.
- Please make sure your name and contact information are on your submission.
- Submissions must be original work (no quotes or song lyrics, for example), creative, compelling, and well-written. WOK Press editors enjoy reading pieces in all genres. Humor is always welcome.
- Gratuitous sex, violence, erotica, slash, or angst poetry is not accepted.
- Please adhere to category/word counts.
- Submissions should be double-spaced, 12 pt. Times New Roman or Courier font.
- Acceptable document formats: .rtf., .doc, or .docx files. No .pdf.
- Multiple submissions in all categories are welcome.
- Submissions must be sent as an email attachment
- For literary submissions:
- Email to [email protected] with WOK 2020: (GENRE) in the subject line. For example: WOK 2020: MUSEFUL MOMENTS.
- For images:
- Email to [email protected] with WOK 2020: IMAGES in the subject line. File format Jpeg @ 250 dpi. Please save your jpegs at maximum quality. If your graphics program gives you a choice of color formats, RGB rather than CMYK would be better. If not, don’t worry about it.
- For black and white/line art, file format .png @ 200 dpi.
- For literary submissions:
- Submissions without a subject line will be returned, unread.
- Submissions will be accepted from July 1, 2020 – August 31, 2020 at [email protected] only. Snail-mail submissions or submissions to other WOK email addresses will be rejected.
- Please include a 50-word bio with your submission.
- The WOK Press editorial team will read all submissions, then notify writers with accept or decline emails. If your work is accepted, WOK Press reserves the right to edit submissions to meet publication and editorial standards or request that you do so. You will be sent the edited version to review before publication.
- Upon acceptance, writers will be asked to sign a publication agreement, granting WOK Press non-exclusive, one-time rights for publication.
- Tentative Publication Schedule: Anthologies to be available after December 15, 2020.
- And to keep the legal folks happy, you agree to indemnify and hold WOK Press, its parents and affiliated forums, and their successors, representatives, officers, directors, owners and all staff, harmless from any damages, costs or expenses of any nature related to any claim, action or proceeding arising from the above guidelines and/or your representations or warranties hereunder, whether express or implied.