The Peggy Connelly Scholarship honors children’s author Peggy Connelly, a member of Writers of Kern, who encouraged and supported new writers. Just as her books encouraged young readers, this scholarship continues her legacy by helping writers of children’s literature.
Up to two $500 scholarships* have been established by Writers of Kern to provide financial support to Kern County writers of children’s literature. We invite all aspiring and established children’s authors to apply.
Peggy Connelly Scholarship application and submission information is found below.
In two (2) pages or less, please answer the following questions:
- What are the strengths and unique qualities that set you apart from other children’s writers?
- What are the significant obstacles blocking the path to furthering your writing career?
- What goals have you set for yourself in order to further your writing career?
- How can receiving the $500 Peggy Connelly Scholarship help you accomplish these goals?
Style guidelines: Please address each question in a Word document, double-spaced, 12-point font (Arial or Times New Roman), 1-inch margins all around. Submit two (2) copies: copy 1 with identification; copy 2, blind. Judges will read for clarity as well as creativity. Applications that do not comply will not be considered.
Please submit a sample of your work in progress as described below:
- Full text of a picture book; OR
- First ten (10) pages of Y.A. or Middle Grade work
Submit two (2) copies of your work in progress: copy 1 with identification; copy 2, blind. Use style guidelines stated above. Applications that do not comply will not be considered.
The application period is March 17 through April 6, 2019. Applications will not be accepted after 11:59 p.m., Saturday, April 6, 2019.
*Judges reserve the right to make no award if the number or quality of entries is insufficient.
Please email the following documents to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Questionnaire (Identity Copy)
- Questionnaire (Blind Copy)
- Writing Sample (Identity Copy)
- Writing Sample (Blind Copy)
All application materials must be received no later than 11:59 p.m., Saturday, April 6, 2019.