WOK Press is an imprint of Writers of Kern. WOK Press is dedicated to publishing high quality writing from writers of all levels. Its mission is to promote new and emerging writers alongside published writers.
Because WOK Press editorial staff works pro bono, it is important to keep them sane and happy. Adhering to the guidelines below facilitates that effort.
- Museful Moments – three-minutes of spontaneous (unedited) writing in response to one-word prompts given at WOK monthly meetings. (<150 words)
- Flash Fiction (<500 words)
- Short Stories – Fiction, Creative Nonfiction, Memoir (<1200 words)
- Poetry (Max 50 Lines)
- Images for Cover Art (Note: Only one (1) submission will be chosen per edition.)
- Submissions are open to new or returning, dues-paying members of Writers of Kern.
- Please make sure your name and contact information are on your submission.
- Submissions must be original work (no quotes or song lyrics, for example), creative, compelling, and well-written.WOK Press editors enjoy reading pieces in all genres. Humor is always welcome.
- Gratuitous sex, violence, erotica, slash, fanfic, high fantasy, or angst poetry is not accepted.
- Please adhere to category/word counts.
- Submissions should be double-spaced, 12 pt. Times New Roman or Courier font.
- Acceptable document formats: .rtf., .doc, or .docx files. No .pdf.
- Multiple submissions in all categories are welcome.
- Submissions must be sent as an email attachment
- For literary submissions:
- Email to email@example.com with WOK 2018 ANTHOLOGY: (GENRE) in the subject line. For example: WOK 2018 ANTHOLOGY: MUSEFUL MOMENTS.
- For images:
- Email to firstname.lastname@example.org with WOK 2018 ANTHOLOGY: IMAGES in the subject line. File format Jpeg @ 250 dpi. Please save your jpegs at maximum quality. If your graphics program gives you a choice of color formats, RGB rather than CMYK would be better. If not, don’t worry about it.
- For black and white/line art, file format .png @ 200 dpi.
- Submissions without a subject line will be returned, unread.
- Submissions will be accepted from May 1, 2018 – July 31, 2018 at email@example.com only. Snail-mail submissions will be rejected.
- Please include a 50-word bio with your submission.
- The WOK Press editorial team will read all submissions, then notify writers with accept or decline emails. If your work is accepted, WOK Press reserves the right to edit submissions to meet publication and editorial standards or request that you do so. You will be sent the edited version to review before publication.
- Upon acceptance, writers will be asked to sign a publication agreement, granting WOK Press non-exclusive, one-time rights for publication.
- Tentative Publication Schedule: Pre-sales to begin October 1, 2018; Anthologies to be available December 1, 2018.
- And to keep the legal folks happy, you agree to indemnify and hold WOK Press, its parents and affiliated forums, and their successors, representatives, officers, directors, owners and all staff, harmless from any damages, costs or expenses of any nature related to any claim, action or proceeding arising from the above guidelines and/or your representations or warranties hereunder, whether express or implied.